Every twenty-something has heard the phrase, “Shaadi kab karoge?” a million times. Rishtedaars, neighbours, friends, cousins, parents – everyone is suddenly interested in your plans of getting married. This happens as soon as you hit 20 or you graduate and especially when you get a job!
We have seen our siblings, cousins and friends getting married and most of them tied the knot for the wrong reasons.
Here’s a list of all the wrong and irrational reasons you could choose to get married. So if you’re getting married or planning to tie the knot, DON’T do it for any of these reasons!
1. Because it’s your Nani/Dadi’s last wish to see you with your life partner
If you fulfill this one they will have another last wish – they would want to see your babies then!
2. Because your parents are concerned about your future
And they blackmail you to get married because they love you so much and will never make a wrong decision for you
3. Because your younger siblings can ONLY get married once you are married
Who made this insane rule? What on Earth were they thinking?
4. Because all your older siblings and cousins are married and it is your “turn” now
“Turn”? I don’t want my turn!
5. Because marriage is the only way you can “settle down” in life
Settle down? Marriage brings more responsibilities, more challenges! There is no settling down!
6. Because you are twenty-something and it is the “right age” to get married
Right age? Who gets to decide what is the right age to do something?
7. Because all your friends are getting married
How can you get married just because all your friends are getting married?
8. Because you have a job and you can AFFORD to have a family now
9. Because you won’t be able to conceive a baby once you cross the “fertile” age
Is that the only reason we get married?
10. Because you need someone to cook food for you and do the dishes
Why don’t you hire a maid instead?
11. Because you have the perfect proposal from Amreeka and “ache rishte roz roz nahi aate”
12. Because of FRIGGING log kya kahenge!
Yeh “LOG” mar q nahi jaate?
13. Because no one will rishta you if you are too old
So sad! HUH!